Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Book Drive

I very well might have the best landlord (well, building manager) on the planet.  Really.  Granted, I have some strange landlords to compare him to: the elderly man who lived below me my first year of law school who reasonably required us to be quiet after 10 pm who nevertheless banged on the ceiling with a broomstick one Sunday afternoon at 4; the bizarre man who lived above me my second year of law school who insisted on renovating our one bathroom while there were three of us living in the apartment (and took away the 3rd floor residents' parking space and laundry access in retaliation for refusing to all him to renovate their bathroom--we at least successfully withheld rent for the 23 days we didn't have a shower); and others.

But my current landlord has been more than gracious with making substantial repairs to my unit as a result of various inspections required as part of the process of being licensed as a foster parent (more to come on that issue when I highlight Child Welfare as a monthly cause). 

And despite the trouble I have therefore subjected him to, he still likes me.

What's the point?  I emailed him to ask if I could hold a book drive in our building.  His response warmed my heart: "YES YES YES! VERY COOL! When?"  He is printing notices to put in each unit's mailbox; I will provide a box.

The books will be donated to Books for America.  If you know me personally and would like to drop off a contribution, you should feel free to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment