Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The People Have Spoken

All eight of you.

The votes are overwhelmingly, after just 12 hours, in favor of highlighting one theme per month.  Within that construct, I will do a variety of things: educate about the issue; introduce local (DC),  national, and global (as appropriate) organizations working on that issue; suggest ways to support relevant organizations, perhaps singling one organization out for special attention; solicit donations on occasion; or others.

The themes I select will be, to the greatest extent possible, neither political nor controversial.  Of course, my definition of "controversial" might not be the reader's.  So, for example, two hot-button issues about which I have strong opinions and care deeply will not get any (or much) metaphorical ink because they are clearly controversial--I leave you to consider what they might be--while an organization based in Israel might be politically neutral yet engender strong negative opinions from some corners based simply on the fact of its location.  I do not consider the latter to be political or controversial.  I offer that as an example to illustrate the criteria (unformulated) that I will be using to decide whether a theme or organization is acceptable to write about in this space.

I have heard from one friend already that she has two issues or organizations that she would like to recommend to me.  I encourage all of you to do to the same.  You may do so here.

No comments:

Post a Comment