Monday, August 24, 2009

Looking for a Gimmick

Earlier today, I read this article in the New Yorker.  Despite its possibly disparaging attitude towards what it calls "gimmicks," it prodded me to follow through on my half-formed ideas for this blog.

During the month of Elul on the Jewish calendar, the month leading up to the High Holidays of Rosh Hashana (the Jewish new year) and Yom Kippur (day of atonement), it is traditional to take stock of the previous year--ones failings, in particular, but also one's strengths and successes, and one's interactions with others.  This then ushers in the ten-day period encompassing the two high holidays, during which we rely on the strength of our repentance, our prayer, and our acts of charity to secure a good decree for us and our loved ones.

This first week of Elul, then, is an auspicious time for this blog to have its beginnings.

I envision this blog supporting worthwhile causes--whether through financial contributions or exposure and education is a decision yet to be made.  Please help me focus this blog by responding to the poll on the sidebar.  Should I:
  • select a theme each month and highlight organizations that support that theme
  • select an organization each month and collect donations from readers
  • select an organization each month and an activity to solicit pledges (for example, if the organization were a literacy organization, I could do a "read-a-thon" that month, and get pledges for a contribution per book read)
  • something else? I had 19 or so ideas as I was composing this in my head, but have forgotten all but these three.

No comments:

Post a Comment