Friday, September 4, 2009

Books for America, part 2

I love love love Books for America.  Of course, I go, and spend (a relatively small amount of) money on lots of books, and then I promptly go to the library and then never get around to reading the books that I bought. This happened just the other day, in fact.  I bought a book that I'm really looking forward to reading about a week ago, and then went to the library last night and checked out something else. 

But that is my problem, of course, not B4A's.  And I really want to make all of you love Books for America as much as I do.  So I'm trying to give them as much metaphorical ink as possible here on Reb(el) With a Cause.

Unfortunately, it turns out that I'm just not that creative.  (Wait, should I not be admitting that? I want you all to come back and bring your friends!)

So today we are going to talk about just a few of my B4A purchases.  

I went into B4A a few weeks ago looking for the book that I ended up getting out of the library last night.  Used book stores are great, but when you're looking for one specific book, you might not have the best of luck.  In the process of looking (at that moment in time, I didn't even remember the name of the book I was looking for--definitely not a recipe for success), I came across a short philosophy book by David Hume on morals.  I never, ever would have come across Hume in a standard book store (because philosophy would not be right next to psychology), and even if I had, I wouldn't have spent the $10 or $12 on it.  At B4A, it was $2.  Two dollars to literacy and a reminder of why I majored in philosophy in college. 

My usual technique when I go to B4A is to look for kid-appropriate DVDs and then to go to the fiction, where I look for new books (new to me, that is, not necessarily recently published) by my favorite authors of the moment.  I got a great book by Herman Wouk that way. 

And finally I check out the section that I only recently discovered, which is the mass market paperbacks.  Not mass market as in romance novels.  Mass market as in the size of the book.  I'm not in the publishing industry so I don't really know what I'm talking about.  But at B4A, this is where you can find some good Dickens or Michener or Irving for only about $2 a book.  And lucky for me, this is the size book that I have plenty of room for on my bookcases.

What's your technique at Books for America?

No comments:

Post a Comment